Taking its name from a bluff on the west bank of the Cooper River, Strawberry Chapel was constructed as a chapel of ease to St. John’s (Biggin Church). It was built about 1725 on land bequeathed by James Child, founder of the long abandoned Childsburg.
Various legends and tales surround the chapel of Strawberry. One describes the ordeal of Catharine Chicken who, at age seven, was tied to a tombstone by her schoolmaster one dark night. Rescued by a faithful servant, “Little Mistress Chicken” survived and her tormentor was driven from town. A chapel of simple yet dignified architecture, Strawberry continues to be the site of annual services.