Graced by profound natural beauty, deeply cherished over the centuries by its occupants, and protected by the generous legacy of its owner, Medway Plantation is sacred to the history of Berkeley County, and destined to retain the wonder of its natural heritage for generations to come.
The Etiwan (Eutaw) Indians were the inhabitants of the land when English (and then Dutch) colonists claimed the area in the 1680’s. One of Medway’s earliest owners, Edward Hyrne with his wife Elizabeth, built the plantation house in 1704 from which the present house has evolved. It is the oldest masonry residence in South Carolina. Surrounding the house are over 6,700 acres of gardens, native forest, tidal wetlands, and bottomland swamps. In 1991, the late Gertrude Sanford Legendre, longtime owner of Medway, donated two conservation easements on the house and surrounding land “to preserve and protect the conservation values of the property in perpetuity.”