Pompion Hill Chapel, erected in 1763-65 on the Cooper River near Huger, is a miniature Georgian masterpiece. The chapel, built on a typical rectangular plan, is probably the finest and best preserved of South Carolina’s numerous small, eighteenth-century country parish brick churches. The quality of its design and workmanship are superb and the fabric, including the interior woodwork, is original. The ornament illustrates the fine Palladian window located in the east nave wall.
The first Anglican church outside Charleston was built in 1703 on Pompion Hill. In 1706, the Church of England became the established church in South Carolina and nine parishes were laid out, including SL Thomas’ Parish, containing a 1703 wooden cypress church. By 1762, the 30 foot-square cypress church was in ruinous condition and was replaced with a brick church.
Construction on the existing church began in 1763 and was completed in 1765 at a cost of 570 pounds. The brick, and probably the design for the new church, were provided by Zachariah Villepontour, a noted brick maker with kilns at his Paranassus Plantation on the Black River. The master mason was William Axson; the initials of both of these men are carved into the walls of the chapel.
Pompion Hill Chapel was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1970.