The Town of Moncks Comer, founded by landowner Thomas Monck, dates back to 1735. Beginning in 1853, the North Eastern Railroad laid new tracks and Moncks Comer became an official scheduled stop in 1856. In 1884, the first of two buildings was constructed on the same side of the tracks and across the street from the current Depot. Destroyed by fire in 1915, the building was reconstructed at its present site.
The Depot was the social and commercial center of Moncks Comer and many small towns and villages across America Serving in the early days as the center of local businesses and town government, the Moncks Comer Depot also provided Berkeley County farmers a way to market their goods. Mail and other news of the outside world was brought first to the Depot After the Second World War with declining rail travel and improved highways, more automobiles and trucks, many depots were seeing the end of their useful lives. Scores of these beautiful buildings were resigned to neglect, vandalism, and the wrecking ball.
The Town of Moncks Comer very wisely chose to save its important landmark and infuse it with life. Completely renovated in 2000 and serving as the Town’s Visitor and Cultural Center, the Depot provides a place to hold special events and classes, as well as a gift shop. The Depot has come full circle, once again serving as a commercial and social center for Moncks Comer. The historic building can be reserved by calling (843) 719-7900.