As plantation owners from nearby lowlands migrated to the higher pinelands to escape summer mosquitoes and malaria, they began to build homes in an area that would become known as Pinopolis.
Beginning in the 1830s, through the Confederate War up until 1871 and again in 1890, a small, dedicated group of Methodists searched diligently for suitable land on which to build a church. Although there was not formal building at the time, Pinopolis United Methodist Church was first mentioned as a church in the S. C. Conference of 1887.
Finally, the group purchased a one-acre plot of land on August 13, 1897 for the sum of $100. The long-held dream to complete their church building was underway. Many of the congregation provided their labor without charge; financial assistance came from friends at home and abroad.
On April 5, 1900, after 70 years, the Southern Christian Advocate announced the church’s dedication.
The original worship area measures 20 by 40 feet and seats about 100. Constructed from the finest long leaf pine available, the church is a single-story frame, Gothic style building sheathed in weatherboard with a steep gabled roof and a small open belfry. A scalloped bargeboard enriches the front gable. The facade is three bays with a lancet arch encompassing the central double doors and flanked by single round-headed windows.
Semicircular brick steps, wrought iron railings, stained glass windows over and flanking the double doors and a cross to the belfry steeple have since been added.
Listed in the National Historic Record as part of the Pinopolis Historic District South, Pinopolis United Methodist Church is located at 1833 Pinopolis Road, approximately three miles Northwest of Moncks Corner.
Sunday Services are held at 8:30am and 10:55am. For more about the church, visit www.pinopolisumc.org.