The Berkeley County Hospital opened its doors on January 15, 1933. Dr. Joseph Norman Walsh, the hospital’s chief of staff and general surgeon, provided full medical services for the town of Moncks Corner, South Carolina and the people of Berkeley County. No longer would the residents have to make the arduous trek to a Charleston hospital located 35 miles away.
In the 1930’s, Berkeley County had 123,456 inhabitants with over 17,000 of those being African American tenant farmers. With Mr. Hugh Robertson’s, a wealthy New York businessman and owner of Richmond Plantation, generous donations and a grant from The Duke Endowment, the hospital was built.
From the 1930’s until July 1975, the hospital would become the place where many Berkeley County residents were both born and died. Even though the hospital was state of the art in the 1930’s, by the time it closed it would have required extensive renovations to have brought it up to current day standards.
The old Berkeley County Hospital still serves a need to the residents of Berkeley County, but now as the local health department.